When would a person need emergency dental care? The possible symptoms fall into two main categories:
- Extreme or chronic pain in the mouth area — This could be from an extremely severe toothache, red and swollen gums that are painful to the touch, an advanced periodontal abscess, constantly bleeding gums, or something similar.
- Uncontrolled change in your teeth — This describes things like a cracked or chipped tooth, a permanent tooth that is suddenly loose, an avulsed tooth (one that gets knocked out), or one that gets forced out of alignment.
Of course, neither of these lists is fully comprehensive, but if any of these situations are left untreated it could lead to infection, disease, tooth loss, more pain and even death. Although a doctor can be of service by providing pain medication, it’s best to solve the problem with skilled, experienced professionals who specialize in dental care, like the Sacramento dentists at the Marconi Dental Group.
Ready to Assist in Dental Emergencies
If you suffer from any of the above-mentioned complications, please call the Marconi Dental Group immediately at (916) 589-6462 so we can prepare for your arrival. Our office is at 6440 Fair Oaks Blvd. Carmichael, CA 95608. Once you arrive, we make sure you are the next to be seen.
Treating Severe Toothache
Toothaches are caused by many different factors: severe tooth decay, bacterial infection, oral cysts, or other sources. A thorough exam from your dentist identifies the correct one. If our dentist cannot verify the source with a visual exam or intraoral photography, the next step is x-rays. Once the source is verified, your dentist discusses all options with you.
Please note that painkillers do not resolve the issue, they merely mask the symptoms. Only when the source of pain is resolved will the toothache go away.
Broken Teeth or Dental Appliances
Perhaps you lost a tooth or cracked one while playing sports. Perhaps a crown, bridge, filling or implant became loose or displaced. If you save as many pieces as possible and bring them into our Sacramento area office as quickly as possible, we can sometimes repair the issue without replacing the appliance.
Here’s a list of things to do if your tooth is knocked out or broken.
- Retrieve all the pieces you can find.
- Clean the tooth or appliance carefully with water, saliva, milk, or whatever sterile, non-corrosive liquid is available.
- Try to put the tooth back where it came from – in the socket, roots first. If not possible, carefully store it in your mouth between your cheek and gums.
- Bite down on clean gauze, a wet towel or a teabag to keep the loose item in place and help with any bleeding.
- Call us immediately at (916) 589-6462. Based on details from you, we get everything prepared for your arrival.
If you lose your tooth, it’s important to stay calm – panic will only get in your way as you drive to our office. Once there, the Marconi Dental Group will manage your dental emergency and get you back to life, safe and smiling!